I have a confession to make. Potatoes kinda scare me. And I don’t mean in a, “ahhh the killer potato is after me” kind of way. I mean in a, “ahhh I just received six russet potatoes in my CSA box and I don’t know what the heck to do with them” kind of way. Of course I could always dress them up in clothes, a hat and a pipe and take silly pictures but even that gets kinda old after a while. It’s as though my mind’s creativity completely shuts down when it comes to potatoes and the only thing I can think to do with them, cooking-wise, is to either bake ’em or mash ’em. Booooring!
So imagine my surprise when last night I was standing in the kitchen, staring at my little brown nemesis, and mi mama made the genius suggestion of turning them into scalloped potatoes. Scalloped potatoes!!! Of course, why hadn’t I thought of that before. So after getting over the initial shock of it being mi mama who made this awesome suggestion, I got out my food processor and got to work scalloping my starchy little taters.
Easy Cheezy Scalloped Potatoes
4 Russett potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (I used my food processor; much faster and less risk of chopping a paw off)
1/2 tbsp stick butter or Earth Balance
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp nutritional yeast, optional
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with Pam and set aside.
2) Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, milk, garlic, nutritional yeast (if using), cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and stir until sauce is thickened.
3) Add onions to sauce and stir well to coat onions with sauce.
4) Layer half of sliced potatoes on bottom of casserole dish. Pour half of the sauce over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and sauce. Top with Parmesan, if desired.
5) Bake in oven 50-60 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and muy caliente and potatoes are cooked through.
6) Serve and enjoy!
Hip hip hooray! I no longer fear the Russet and gone are the days of boring old baked potatoes. Now if I could just figure out what to do with those five pounds of beets also in the box…. anyone, anyone?
In the meantime, I better be going. I’m completely out of clothes and mi mama hasn’t figured out how to use the washing machine yet. Ugh, a teeny guy’s work is never done.