Hola and Feliz Navidad mis amigos! I hope you’ve all been having a wonderful holiday filled with joy and laughter and are now knee-deep in wrapping paper and bows and ugly sweaters you received from relatives who obviously don’t like you very much.
I, myself, had a very relaxing morning listening to Desi Arnaz’s greatest holiday hits album on Pandora and lapping up a lovely cup of
eggnog Evian while making a yummy batch of granola for mi Tio Tony to enjoy once he rises from his slumber. Seeing as how it’s now past noon and there’s still no sign of him waking up anytime soon, he may not get to enjoy this for breakfast after all. Oh well, this stuff is sure to be equally delicioso as either an afternoon snack or even a cure for the late-night munchies.
Orange-Vanilla Spiced Granola
3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup flaxseed
1/2 cup chopped nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans etc.)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated orange rind
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 unsweetened, flaked coconut
1) Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2) Mix oats, wheat germ, flaxseeds and nuts in a large bowl.
3) Combine orange juice, honey, vanilla, orange rind and cinnamon in a small saucepan. Heat oven medium-low until honey has melted. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
4) Pour orange-honey mixture over oat mixture. Stir well to combine.
5) Pour mixture onto a large cookie sheet and spread out into a thin layer. Bake 20 minutes, stirring once.
6) Add shredded coconut and bake an additional 10 minutes or until crunchy.
Well that’s about all I’ve got for today muchachos. Have a wonderful day whether you’re celebrating Christmas, Hannukah or just the fact that it’s Sunday and you have twelve chances to watch “A Christmas Story” on TBS.
I’m working on someday being able to lick my eyeball.